Bilateral Knee Osteoarthritis in a 60 years old male

Patient

Q: X Ray Left knee joint AP & LAT report is reduction in the patellofemoral and medial tibiofemoral joint space formation of osteophytes seen at articles margins and for right knee reduction in the reduction in the patellofemoral and medial femoral joint space formation of articular margins.
the visualused bones are normal in architecture and alignment. no bony lesion or break is seen. surrounding soft tissues are normal in appearance. Impression of left knee: Osteosrthiritis and for right knee: F/S/O Osteoarthiritis. I am a 60 yr old male having Hypertension 130/90 weighing 93 kgs.
I am practising yoga under an MBBS doctors supervision who primarily provide traction using props. The doctors there have advised not to cycle at all and also not to walk unless necessary. Is this the right advice? I need to reduce my weight. Can i use the cycle? since other orthopedic doctors i consulted have suggested that i should cycle. Please advice or suggest remedies so that i can reduce weight while not damaging my knees further. Thank you.

Doctor

A:   Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease that involves the whole joints, affecting not only the bones but ligaments, joint lining and joint cover (capsule) and also involves a progressive loss of cartilage. Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common articular disease worldwide, affecting over 20 million individuals in the United States alone. The main symptoms are the aching pain, stiffness or difficulty moving the affected joints, for example: fingers, hips, knees and spine. Older people is mostly affected.Besides the drug treatment as Tylenol, which is the first drug recommended for osteoarthritis, there are several ways to help you to improve your quality of life as follows: keep the weight under control, regular exercise as daily 30 minutes walking at your own pace and the static bicycle as you can tolerate, may help to strengthen muscles and stimulate the cartilage growth, taking antioxidant vitamins as C and E may provide some protection, also vitamin D(400 UI per day) and Calcium (1000-1200 mgs per day), hot soaks and warm paraffin application may relieve the pain, there are also assistive devices that can be used to improve function, alignment, provide support or correct deformities such as splints, braces, walkers, canes and orthopedic footwear.