Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Bilateral Shoulder Pain What Could it Be

Bilateral Shoulder Pain What Could it Be

Patient: What could cause a sudden onset of bilateral shoulder pain and stiffness besides polymyalgia rheumatica? No trauma involved.

Symptoms: Had a sudden onset of bilateral shoulder pain and stiffness. Causes decrease in range of motion and upper extremity muscle weakness. Also have bilateral hip stiffness and pain, but less severe pain than shoulders. Hip pain/stiffness occurs late in evenings. Sed rate was normal. CRP was elevated at 14.4. Uric acid was slightly elevated at 7.7 on a scale that has 7.4 as normal cut-off. There is no redness, swelling, or heat to affected area. No trauma or recent illness. I do run a low grade temp daily. I also have a history of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis so feel autoimmune could be an issue. So far tests for lupus, myasthenia gravis, lyme, and RA titer have all been negative. I believe it is PMR; my PCP does not agree. Would just like to know what someone else thinks.

Doctor: Hello.Thank you for posting your query on ATD. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. There are three possibilities in my mind. 1st possibility is bilateral frozen shoulder. It treatment is mobilisation exercises and analgesics such as ibuprofen for pain relief. 2nd possibility is early osteoarthritis. It is confirmed by an x-ray. Treatment of it is glucosamine and analgesic such as Ibuprofen for pain relief. Third possibility can be seronegative rheumatoid arthritis.Hope your query got answered.Wishing you a good health.Take care.