Birth control

Q: So I just started birth control this month and im on day six, I had unprotected sex and my guy cummed inside of me. Should I take emergency contraception? Im I going to get pregnant or what could happen . Also I took ecp 2 days before starting birth control cause of unprotected sex

A:   Thank you for your question. Depending on the type of birth control medication you are taking and when you started taking it will determine when you will be protected against pregnancy. If you are taking a 'combination type' oral contraceptive containing both progesterone and estrogen, it is effective immediately if you started taking it within 5 days of your menstrual period. If taken at any other time during your cycle it will take seven days to be effective and you will require to use other forms of protection during this time to prevent pregnancy (i.e. condoms). If you are taking a progesterone only oral contraceptive, it will take about 48 hours to become effective if started at any time during your cycle.
We are not certain as to what type of oral contraceptive you started on and at what stage of your menstrual cycle you were when you started your medication. We advise you to take the information we have provided to you and be guided accordingly.

Thank you for choosing