Birth control

Q: Hello how are you? Me and my husband had unprotected sex the first day i started taking birth control pills , does that mean i could get pregnant ? Or how long do i have to wait to find out ?

A:   Thank you for your query
Generally in a normally menstruating woman the birth control pills are taken starting from day 5 of the menstrual cycle to day 25 of the cycle for it to be effective in providing a contraceptive effect of up to 99%. You have not mentioned however on which day you have started taking the pill. Only if ovulation occurs around the time of sexual inter course can there be a chance of a probable conception. Generally when birth control pills are advised for the first time, they generally caution the couple to use protection at least for the first seven days of starting the pill.. If you don’t get your period even after 7 to 10 days past your expected date of menstrual cycle opt for a home pregnancy test.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.