Birth control advice

Patient

Q: I have a question about birth control. I just finished my placebo week but I had sex saturday night while intoxicated and I'm pretty sure it was unprotected. I was sick later in the the week prior to placebo week so I missed the last 3 of my active pills and I restarted my active pills on Sunday after the placebo week ended. I just wanted to ask if I was still protected by my active pills even through all that time. I take Necon.

Doctor

A:   Chances of getting pregnant in the placebo week are very low and unlikely even if you missed the last 3 pills of the pack. However missing more than 3 pills weakens the protection offered by the active pills and it is therefore recommended that you take a pregnancy test if you miss your periods this month.
Since taking hormonal pills during pregnancy can adversely affect the developing fetus, it is imperative that you take the test before starting a new pack if there is any suspicion of pregnancy.
Now that you have started a new pack, it would still be sensible to confirm that no mishap has occurred by taking a home pregnancy test.
Home pregnancy tests work by detecting the presence of the pregnancy hormone hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) in your urine. Most home urine tests are similar in principle however there are certain differences in how one must do the test such as the method of collecting the urine, the length of time one needs to urinate on the stick for and the symbols used to indicate whether one is pregnant or not. It is important to follow manufacturers' instructions as specifics may vary for each pregnancy test kit,
For more accurate results test first thing in the morning and give the kit a few minutes to work. Most women are able to take the test themselves without any hassles. The home pregnancy tests are almost 99% accurate and will hopefully help you get rid of your worries.