Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Birth control affect preg test result?

Birth control affect preg test result?

Patient: I took a Clearblue preg test with weeks indicator yesterday at 8pm and got a positive result with weeks estimated at 3+ weeks. I got off the birth control pill 2 months ago after being on it for a year and a half. I missed my first period I expected on Nov. 13th. I didn’t think anything of this since I read that would probably happen. I expected my period 3 weeks ago on Dec. 13th. (My cycle is regular and lasts about 30 days). I had been feeling some symptoms such as nausea and motion sickness, sensitivity to smells, aversion to foods, and fatigue. Many of these symptoms were not something I have ever experienced and are not normal period symptoms for me. So, I took the test. I am wondering if I should trust the results. Could I be getting a positive result because of hormones still in my system from the pill?

Symptoms: Nausea, motion sickness, bloating, indigestion, constipation, fatigue, aversion to foods used to enjoy, sensitivity to smells. Felt light cramping around the first of Dec. which I assumed was proof I would start my period on time.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.comIf you have been off birth control pills for last 2 months and have b een in involved with unprotected sex , then as you have missed your periods and the Clear blue pregnancy test is positive , then it is likely that you are pregnant.The best way to confirm would be to do a blood serum beta hcg test which would confirm the pregancy positively if the levels of hcg are found to be raised. Another confirmative way is to opt for a transvaginal ultrasound to look for a gestational sac inside the uterus and look for decidualization reaction, which is a sign of pregnancy.The symptoms you are experiencing are typical early pregnancy symptoms and can be attributed to it once cofirmation is made.I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards