Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Birth Control  for 4 months and lighter period

Birth Control  for 4 months and lighter period

Patient: Have been taking birth control for 4 months now and am sexual active and for some reason my current period is lighter than usual. Should I have any concerns?

Doctor: Birth control pills are hormones and are meant to act by suppressing ovulation. One of the commonest effects of these pi lls is that the period is lighter than usual. This effect is because the endometrium or the lining of the uterus(womb) grows to a limited extent under the influence of these hormones.There is nothing to worry about the lighter periods you are experiencing. However, you must consult your health care provider if you completely miss your period while on the pills as that maybe a sign of pill failure.