Birth Control and Augmentin

Q: I am taking Lo Loestrin, had unprotected sex on Friday then had to start Augmentin on Saturday for an ear infection. Have not had sex since I started the antibiotic, but did start bleeding on Saturday afternoon. How soon does Augmentin affect birth control?

A:   Thank you for your query.
Since you are saying that you are already having bleeding the next day after having unprotected sex, the chance of a probable conception are almost remote. After beginning of the dosage of augmentin, it can lower the effectiveness of the birth control pill. Therefore extra method of contraception may be required like a condom or higher dosage of the pills until the course of the antibiotic is completed.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.