Birth control and bulimia

Patient

Q: I am on birth control and bulimic...I make sure I purge at least 10 hours after I take the pill..am I at risk?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. You are at risk of interfering with the efficacy of your oral contraceptive in protecting you against pregnancy. Even though you wait a long period of time after you take your pill to purge, the nutritional deficiencies and electrolyte imbalances you may be experiencing may possibly decrease its efficacy. For this reason we strongly recommend that you use a back of form of contraception such as condoms to better assist you at preventing unwanted pregnancy. If you have not considered getting help for your bulimia, we strongly recommend that you do so by first consulting your doctor who will assess your current medical condition and subsequently direct you to the appropriate therapist, support group, or residential program which will help you over come this condition.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com