Birth control and bv

Patient

Q: I am constantly getting bv and recently I have heard that inserting vitamin c can help symptoms. I'm currently using the nuvaring. Will the vitamin c affect it at all, or should I take the ring out overnight while I allow the vitamin c to dissolve?

Doctor

A:   Hi
There is not much of an evidence that vitamin C can help in reducing bacterial vaginosis, it can only help in boosting your immune levels to certain extent and it is not an alternative to antibiotics to treat BV. The other alternative way to prevent recurrent BV, is to use a barrier method of contraception like condoms. Also, the use of lotions which maintain a good vaginal PH are available in the market which prevents vaginal infections. Using the lotions while bath and while cleaning your vagina twice a day helps. See your gynecologist and getting a high vaginal swab culture done would help in confirming the diagnosis of BV and would warrant the need for antibiotics as well for a better cure.
Since there has been evidence that vitamin C can affect the efficacy of Nuvaring, it is better that you avoid using vitamin C along with the ring. Taking the ring out every night and waiting till the vitamin to act is not a good option as it will reduce the effectiveness of the contraceptive device.
Hope this helped
Regards.