Birth control and smoking

Q: I have never smoked before, but this morning at around three I had just two puffs of a cigarette. I start taking birth control for my acne today and my doctor told me that smokers have an increased risk of having blood clots while on the pill. Again, I have never smoked cigarettes before, I don't have a background of blood clots, and I am seventeen years old. I am nervous to start but is it okay to begin taking the pill today?

Symptoms:  Sore throat

A:   As your doctor informed, smoking and birth control pills does not go hand in hand and might cause problems from failure of contraception or bleeding. Since it was your first time, nothing to worry and continue the medication if prescribed by a physician. But remember not to continue the habit of smoking for future avoidance of risks for many disorders.