Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Birth control for increased testosterone levels

Birth control for increased testosterone levels

Patient: Hello im a 20 year old female my testosterone levels are too high and was prescribed birth control pills I was wondering if it would level out my hormone levels and make the birth control ineffective?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. If you were prescribed oral contraceptives to treat your increased testosterone levels, th en this may not be effective at protecting you against pregnancy. You may require supplementary contraceptive medication to prevent pregnancy. In the meantime we recommend that you use barrier protection while having sexual intercourse until you consult your doctor regarding the necessity for supplementary oral contraceptive medication.Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com