Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Birth control misuse what are my chances of pregnancy.

Birth control misuse what are my chances of pregnancy.

Patient: What are the odds of me being pregnant on birthcontrol?Okay I’m 21 didn’t finish birth control pack from December I forgot to take pills and really didn’t do well in December I only took a week and a half worth. I got a period because I stopped taking it four days after period I decided to take birth control again I was on day four and had unprotected sex he ejaculated inside me. I continued taking the birth control still taking it I.had sex jan 10 butmI’m feeling a little weird im not sure if its me being paranoid or not but what are the odds. I say this because I read that the period you get while on birthcontrol isnt a real period its a withdrawl period and birth control stops ovulation. My symptoms could all just be happening because I’m worried.if I am pregnant do I stop taking the birth control I don’t want to start bleeding and have miscarriage

Symptoms: Slight cramps, sharp little back pains, breast are a little more sensitive.

Doctor: You mentioned that you did not take contraceptive pills regularly. Bleeding during or after stopping the pills is not re gular bleeding and called as break through bleeding. Ovulation usually does not occur. Chances of pregnancy is very rare in your condition though you are not having pills properly, since it normally takes 3 months to restore to normal ovulation after stopping pills. But to be assured use emergency contraceptive pills after unprotected sex and have pregnancy test done. If you are pregnant you have to stop pills and consult a gynecologist at the earliest to avoid complication to you.