Birth control pills affecting menopause

Patient

Q:
I am 54 years old and am still taking birth control pills. My doctor suggested I stop using them to see if I had started menopause, but I'm hesitant to do so because of the possibility of getting pregnant if I haven't started menopause. Is there any other way to determine if I've started menopause?

Doctor

A:   Menopause is the permanent end of menstruation and fertility, defined as occurring 12 months after your last menstrual period.
Since you are taking hormones at this moment and your doctor would need to ask for a test to measure natural hormones levels such as Estrogen and the FSH, you will certainly need to stop taking your artificial hormones for a certain period of time to allow your body to produce its natural hormones again and avoid a false result. I wish you the best.