Birth control pills affecting menopause

Patient :
I am 54 years old and am still taking birth control pills. My doctor suggested I stop using them to see if I had started menopause, but I'm hesitant to do so because of the possibility of getting pregnant if I haven't started menopause. Is there any other way to determine if I've started menopause?
Doctor :   Menopause is the permanent end of menstruation and fertility, defined as occurring 12 months after your last menstrual p eriod. Since you are taking hormones at this moment and your doctor would need to ask for a test to measure natural hormones levels such as Estrogen and the FSH, you will certainly need to stop taking your artificial hormones for a certain period of time to allow your body to produce its natural hormones again and avoid a false result. I wish you the best.