Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Birth control Plan B.

Birth control Plan B.

Patient: Helloo, ,i have sex on lets say sunday, and i didnt notice i had no birth control, so “today” which is the 3rd day i took plan b pill, Would it still b as effective. Should i start birth control again.

Doctor: I understand your concern about Plan B and its efficacy. After 72 hours, plan is not as effective as taking it during th e first 24 hours post sexual intercourse.Depending on the day of the cycle in which you had sex, your chances could increase or decrease. In the future to avoid unwanted pregnancy, I would suggest you to start birth control pills. The best day to start is on the first day of your next menstrual period. I wish you the best.