Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Birth Control Problems

Birth Control Problems

Patient: Hi, I am on the depo shot. I didn’t get my shot last month. my boyfriend came in me , and my period isn’t on for this month, could I be pregnant , please help.

Symptoms: None

Doctor: Hello,If you have missed your shot of depot for this month , then your protection is questionable as ovulation is not inhibited in this cycle and with unprotected intercourse , there are high chances that you may get pregnant. The periods generally tend be delayed after stopping depot use by 15-20 days , so it is advisable that you may perform a blood serum eta hcg test by day 24-26 of your cycle to look for raised hcg levels, which if found raised , it would confirm that you are pregnant. However, if negative then you are safe and may wait for your menses to resume and also follow barrier contraception till you menstruate again to protect from pregnancy.I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards