Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Birth Control: safe for unprotected sex?

Birth Control: safe for unprotected sex?

Patient: Hi, I have been taking the birth control pill Estelle for about a year and levlen for a couple of years before that. If I take my pill everyday. Is it safe to have unprotected sex without getting pregnant? Thanks.

Doctor: Hello,Yes , if you are regular on your pills daily and haven’t had any inter-menstrual bleeding, then it indicates th at you have not ovulated at all ,which is the prime action of the pills to prevent ovulation. So its safe to have unprotected sex during the birth control as no amount of sperm ejaculate can make you pregnant if there is no ovum to fertilize. But PILL birth control protects against pregnancy but not against STDs. So, stay informed.I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you safe sexual practices,regards