Birth Control_side effects

Q: Me and my Fiancee are planning to get married soon, we can not afford to have a child now or any time soon. Ive seen on the internet there are many options and ive narrowed it down to the Shot and the implant. Im still not sure about those to options as I am worried about the side affects. People make it sound so horrible. Is it?
I also would like to know what the body weight should be to get either of the two? (I am rather skinny not by choice its just how everyone in my family is)
I am quiet a bit terrified to go to a doctor as I feel ashamed and shy about getting a contraceptive.