Birth Control Side Effects

Patient

Q: Hi,

I recently began taking the birth control Alesse. Ever since I began the pill, last Tuesday, I have noticed an increase in white facial hair on my face and my period has lasted eleven days now with a normal flow. Should I contact my doctor and is this something to be concerned about?

Symptoms:  Prolonged period and increase in facial hair
Doctor

Generally birth control pills help in reducing facial hair and also maintain a balance in your hormones to regularize the cycles. The facial hair growth is unlikely to be due to the birth control pills. However, initially there may be prolonged or lighter bleeding when birth control pills are started. You can wait for 3 more cycles and then act accordingly. Contact a dermatologist for the problem of facial hair.

Hope this helped.