Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Birth Control – Took wrong pill on wrong day

Birth Control – Took wrong pill on wrong day

Patient: I am on the birth control pill Portia. This past week I noticed I accidentally took Monday’s pill on Sunday and Tuesday’s pill on Monday. I then proceeded to take Sunday’s pill on Wednesday to try to get back on track. I have been on birth control for almost 10 years but I am a day late and freaking out. I was not sexually active this week. Do I need to worry? Did getting those days mixed up mess up my cyle?

Doctor: If both the pills that you exchanged were active pills or sugar pill vice verse, you should not be too concerned. Howeve r, if an active pill was replace by a sugar pill, there is a chance that you might be pregnant. I would advise that you do a home pregnancy test if you do not have your periods within a week. I wish you well, take care.