Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Birth defect possibility

Birth defect possibility

Patient: MY WIFE 30YRS OLD ,NOW 6 TH WEEK OF PREGNANCY.HER LAST PERIOD DATE 16.12.2014. WE HAVE A SON OF 4 YRS.SHE HAS TAKEN AZITHROMYCIN 500 ONE TAB FOR THREE DAYS AND AMBRODYL S 10ML THRICE DAILY FOR 4 DAYS FOR COLD AND COUGH, WITHOUT KNOWING ABOUT HER PREGNANCY.NOW, I LIKE TO KNOW IS THERE ANY POSSIBILITY OF BIRTH DEFECT IN FUTURE .IN THAT CASE WE ARE READY TO TAKE DECISION OF ABORTION.PLS. INFORM ME SOON.

Symptoms: Pregnancy

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.If she has already taken the medication and later on she found that she was pregnant, t hough azithromycin is a pregnancy safe medicine but still it should be avoided in very early pregnancy. There are no known congenital effects documented post Azithromycin intake, so you may choose to continue the pregnancy and wait for the appearance of heart beat of foetus. If the foetus had been affected then nature would have its own way of discarding the pregnancy and allow no further growth of pregnancy. Viability of the foetus can be decided by the metal heart rate.I hope i have answered your query in return,wishing you good health,regards