Birthmark on head of penis

Q: I have a birthmark on the head of my penis and I don't know what it is. It is flat and doesn't hurt. Will it go away or will I have to find a way to take it off.

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that this 'birth mark' could be a benign nevus, or mole. These are areas of excessive pigment production in a localized, circular fashion. Albeit rare, they can also occur on the surface of the glans penis. It is important to have this examined by your doctor. We cannot tell you definitively that this lesion on your glans penis is not serious, if it will go away on its own, without being able to see it. For this reason, we believe that given the sensitive area that this lesion is in, you should have it examined by your doctor. Upon examination, the best possible options will be presented to you and you will be able to determine whether this can be removed using topical medications or surgery. We hope this helps

Thank you for consulting