I'll try to explain my question as best as possible:
Note: I selected "Urinary Tract Infection" as the category because it's as close as I can see, please don't delete my question if it's mislabeled I would really, really appreciate some advice on this.
Also note: In the first pictures my urine is quite dark, it's not normally like this I was fairly dehydrated when I took those pictures as I was unable to drink for a portion of the day, but the last image was taken afterwards and that's more typical if I am properly hydrated.
Recently in the last few days I've noticed something in my urine, very small, erm.. flakes? I guess. I'm not really sure how to describe it. I have attached images (apologies for the view, I'm sure you're used to seeing such things in your line of work).
At first I thought it was just bubbles in the water but upon closer inspection along with the bubbles is the something else as well. Naturally I googled it and scared myself to death as it looks like it could be very serious. But the problem is I'm not at home right now, I'm far away from my GP so I can't really go in to see him and I'm actually going to India for 2 months in 2 days and I'm not sure if this is something I should be really concerned about or not.
Basically I'd really like to know whether this could be something really serious, serious enough that I need to cancel my trip to get medical attention before I go to India (which would cost me a ton of money but... I mean if it's really serious then it will have to happen). or if I should get it checked out when I am out there (not sure what the hospital situation will be like out there, how much I will have to pay etc but I will have to sort that out etc) or if I can afford to wait until I get back in 2 months (or it's no problem at all... which would be nice but I'm guessing that's not the case)
If it's relevant at all, I recently had a cold/flu and I'm staying at a friends house and it only started after I started drinking the water here whic his very chalky (as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_water) - I'm not sure if that's relevant at all just trying to provide as much information as possible.
If you need any more information from me, please just let me know. I'm getting incredibly anxious about this so any sort of reply would be wonderful just so I can justify my anxiety or not. Thank you so much in advance.
Symptoms: "something" in my urine (see attached pictures). I MIGHT be urinating more than usual but to be honest I'm not sure if I am or not because it's not something I pay a lot of attention to usually and because this is making me quite anxious I'm noticing the urge to urinate more, hopefully you understand what I mean.
Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com
I understand your concern.
Thank you for sharing the images. Although I could not make out the flakes, it is very difficult to understand from such images, I did understand that once your urine was very reddish, and the other 2 times the urine seems turbid.
Now there could be two possibilities for that. One could be due to a urinary tract infection, and the other could be proteins in the urine, which could indicate a subclinical kidney infection or could again be due to UTI itself. I will appreciate if you can get your urine tested and share the reports with me before you leave for India. It is better if you can get your urine routine and RFT ( Renal Function Test ) evaluated, as this will give us a clearer picture of what is going on.
If that is not possible due to time constraints, you need to prophylactically be on antibiotics such as Doxycycline after consulting your local physician with a recommended dose of 100 mg twice daily for 7-10 days. You should keep drinking enough water, and also cranberry juice which helps reducing the irritation associated with UTIs.
Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further,
These Q&A’s are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.