Black marks on penis and testicles

Patient: Why do black marks keep appearing on my penis? These marks are flat and start out small and get bigger with time. They stay flat. None of them are on the head. Some have appeared on my testicles too.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. These marks appear to be nevi (singular – nevus). These are dark circular marks often calle d ‘beauty marks’ that can appear anywhere on the body. These often occur without any cause due to increased melanin (pigment) deposition in the area, and are often benign. However, there are also some pathological causes of these spots, which are signs of an underlying illness. If you see more appearing, and they are irregularly coloured (different intensities of black color), and irregularly shaped, please have the area examined by a dermatologist to rule out any serious conditions.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com