Black Mold vs. Trichonomiasis

Q: I was diagnosed with Trichonomiasis and my partner tested negative. We both recieved the medication, but my symptoms of agonizing muscle pain did not improve. Since then, I have discovered a mold problem in my basement and have determined it to be the cause of my problems. I have a new symptom, funny taste in mouth. Could Trichothecenes be mistaken for Trichonomiasis?

Symptoms:  Muscle pain, nausea, headache, fatigue, funny taste in mouth, blurred vision and memory problems.

A:   Thank you for your question. No Trichomoniasis cannot be mistaken for Trichothecenes as the former is caused by a bacteria and the latter is a fungus. It is likely that your trichomoniasis has been cleared by your antibiotic treatment, but you have developed a systemic fungal infection from your exposure to in your basement. It is extremely imperative that you promptly go to your doctor to be evaluated and started on antifungal medication to treat clear your infection. Furthermore, your husband should examined as well. You will need to have your basement professionally cleaned as well as the rest of your home inspected for this mold, so you are not exposed in the future. Please seek medical attention immediately.

Thank you for consulting