Black strands in mucus

Patient: I spit out mucus with black strands today, have been having cold for sometime now, please advise

Symptoms: I have a bit of coughing, and when I spit out I had black strands in my sputum.

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.You seem to be having a lower respir atory tract infection causing the excretion of black strands in sputum.You need to consult your Physician, who can auscultate you and confirm the diagnosis and start an appropriate antibiotic. A good choice antibiotic would be Tab. Cefixime 200 mg twice daily for 5-7 days depending on the severity. Syrup. Ascoril can be taken 2 teaspoons twice daily for 3 days or till the cough subsides.Additionally, if you develop runny nose or nasal congestion, Tab. Levocetirizine can be taken once at bedtime for 3 days.Hope this was helpful,Regards.