Black tarry stools may represent upper gastrointestinal bleeding

Patient

Q: I have had black stool and stomach pain for 2 weeks now. The stomach pain is severe certain days. There is also a very strong bad odor. I have been taking Pepto Bismol, but it seems to not help. What is causing me to have black stools and the stomach pain?

Doctor

A:   The presence of a black tarry foul smelling stool may indicate bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract. In addition to abdominal pain this most likely represents peptic ulceration and bleeding. Exedrin is a combination of aspirin and acetaminophen, and I would advise discontinuing use of this because aspirin and other NSAIDs including ibuprofen predispose to peptic ulceration. I would advise attending your family doctor for a full blood count examination to check your Haemoglobin level, and an urgent referral to a gastroenterologist for an endoscopy, which allows visualization of the upper gastrointestinal tract through a camera lens and identification of any peptic ulceration.