Blackheads on Penis

Patient

Q: How to get rid of Blackheads on Penis?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. These 'black heads' are open comedones which are caused by blocked sebaceous glands and hair follicles. Bacteria feed on oily secretions within the sebaceous gland and their waste matter forms darkened hard masses which obstruct the sebaceous glands. It is important to have your doctor examine these 'black heads' to make sure they are not being caused by a sexually transmitted disease. If this is ruled, then your doctor may remove the current black heads in office with a sterile comedone extractor. This is a simple pen like instrument with a wire loop at the end that applies a slight pressure in the are of the area of the black head to express the obstructive material from the gland. Once these are removed, it is recommended that you follow a proper genital hygiene routine using unfragranced, colour free soaps, and avoiding shaving for some time to allow healing of the skin. Once this is maintained, this problem could be controlled adequately.

We hope AskTheDoctor.com has addressed your medical question.