Bladder infection

Q: I am pretty sure that I have a bladder infection and I do not have health insurance or any money to see a doctor and was wondering what I can do at home to get rid of it. I have been drinking alot of water.

A:   Cystitis is the medical term for inflammation of the bladder. Most of the time, the inflammation is caused by a bacterial infection, in which case it may be referred to as a urinary tract infection.
Most cases of cystitis are caused by Escherichia coli (E. coli), a species of bacteria commonly found in the genital area. Antibiotics are the first line of treatment for cystitis caused by bacteria. Which drugs are used and for how long depend on your overall health and the bacteria found in your urine. First you will need to have a urine test done to confirm the diagnosis and take antibiotics such as Nitrofurantoin for at least 3 days or more depending on your symptoms and the quantity of bacteria present in your urine.
A heating pad placed over your lower abdomen can help minimize feelings of bladder pressure or pain, also drink plenty of fluids, but avoid coffee, alcohol, soft drinks with caffeine, citrus juices and spicy foods until your infection has cleared. These items can irritate your bladder and aggravate your frequent or urgent need to urinate. I wish you a prompt recovery.