Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Bleeding after 5 days of taking emergency contraceptive pill.

Bleeding after 5 days of taking emergency contraceptive pill.

Patient: I M 20 YEARS OLD AND HAD UNPROTECTED SEX WITH MY BOYFRIEND,ALSO HAD MYPAL-PILL WITH IN 24 HRS.BUT AFTER 5 DAYS IT SEEMS TO BE BLEEDING-IS IT WORRY FOR PREGNANCY PLZ REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE,VERY TENSE

Doctor: What you are experiencing may be the withdrawal bleed after taking the emergency contraceptive pills. If you are unsure about pregnancy, you can do a urine pregnancy test. The test is best done after 2 weeks of the unprotected sex. I hope the information helps, take care.

Guest: Should I be worried if the bleeding doesnt stop after two weeks. In addition the dicynone prescribed by the doctor only made the bleeding worse. Can I start regular contaceptive at this point