Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Bleeding after a Colonoscopy.

Bleeding after a Colonoscopy.

Patient: While using the restroom, my father(had colonoscopy 1 week ago)noticed enough fresh blood to be a concern.Three hours have passed and he said he tried using the bathroom again but started bleeding and became faint and had to lay down.What could this be?

Doctor: Hello, I understand your concern about your father’s health. Firstly, I would suggest you call his Physician and inform m him about this bleeding event, he might ask you to bring him immediately for an evaluation.The fact that he presents rectal bleeding at the moment especially if the volume is approximately more than a tablespoon and on top of that he has a history of polyps, make us think that one of them could be the source of the hemorrhage.If your father felt lightheadedness and had to lie down, it might be necessary to rule out mild to moderate hemorrhage. In the meantime keep him well hydrated, resting and watch for signs of Fever, chills and continuous rectal bleeding. I wish him a prompt recovery.