Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Bleeding After having biopsy

Bleeding After having biopsy

Patient: My smear test came back saying severe cell changes, I went to colposcopy and had a biopsy on the 24th Nov, I have since took my period on 30th Nov. however Iam bleeding a lot more than usual and have sore cramps which I don’t normal get. its even sore when I sit down. is this normal after a biopsy or do I need to go to my GP again?

Doctor: It is normal to experience some cramping and light bleeding after biopsy. This usually last a few days after the biopsy. In rare cases there may be infection and hemmorhage from the site of the biopsy. Since your bleeding is more than usual, I would advise you to call your doctor.