Bleeding after losing my virginity, is this normal?

Q: I am 17 yrs old & i just lost my virginity today. After intercourse i felt the need to urinate. When i did it was a lot of blood with a bit of clots. At the moment i felt pain. Now i just have spotting & a bit of discomfort. Is this normal ?

Symptoms:  Spotting, discomfort

A:   Thank you for your query.
Generally when a lady has sexual intercourse for the first time it could lead to bleeding either due to rupture of the hymen if it was intact or occasionally due to an internal injury or an infection. If the spotting & discomfort don’t subside or if the discomfort is accompanied by itching, pain or burning then you may have to take medical aid from the health care provider or a gynecologist who could do an internal examination & see if medical intervention & repair is required or not.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.