Bleeding after sex - what could be the cause?

Patient

Q: I had sex for the first time last year. but i dont think my hymen broke because everytime i masturbate i begin to bleed and when i had sex with my boyfriend again i was bleeding. its weird i dont know if it broke or not ? Is there anything i can do to make it break? it feels like there's a wall inside of my vagina . Can it be that my hymen just wont break :( help please !

Doctor

A:   The hymen has different normal variants varying from the common annular shape, to cresenteric and navicular forms. Hymenal variations are rarely clinically significant, but sometimes may result in retention of vaginal secretions and prolongation of the common condition of a mixed bacterial vulvovaginitis.
Your bleeding could be due to an injury or variation in the hymen structure. I would advise that you see your doctor for an examination. A pelvic examination, ultrasound or MRI may help to diagnose the problem.