Bleeding after surgery for broken leg

Patient

Q: I had surgery today on my broken leg at about 11:30 est. I just noticed that the bandage wrapped around my leg is becoming soaked in blood. the bandage is pretty thick. I'm not having any pain right. is this normal?

Doctor

A:   Bleeding after any surgical procedure is always a cause for concern. It is difficult to say whether you require any further intervention without a physical examination. However, it is unusual for a dressing/bandage to become soaked with blood. Therefore I suggest that you make your surgeon aware of this issue as soon as possible. Depending on the cause, a thicker bandage may be all that is required.