x
Browse
190 Physicians Online

Question:

Bleeding after surgical abortion

Hi I'm 25 otherwise healthy female.I had a surgical abortion at 11 weeks 6 days everything went fine but 3 months on I'm still bleeding since the abortion i have not gone a whole week with out bleeding it stops and starts i have bleeding every week i don't no if Ive had a period or not because i haven't had a couple of weeks without bleeding.i went to the Dr 2 months after the abortion explained the bleeding she said its fine it heals different for everyone i had also gone because i was very tired i was struggling to complete a day i was also getting headaches and was very dizzy she looked at my blood tests from when i was pregnant and said they where fine,so i started taken Spirulina they have helped a little bit and i don't get as dizzy but I'm still tired and am still bleeding i also when i have sex it feels uncomfortable and bleed afterwards which lasts 3-4 days.Is this my body taking its time to recover?can u help me or suggest what i should do please its starting to worry me. Thanks for your help

Answer:

After 3 months, you should have completely recovered from your procedure and should not have irregular bleeding. I suspect you may have suffered a complication such as retained products of conception. This would explain your continued bleeding. I urge you to seek medical attention immediately as the heavy blood loss as already started to take its toll as evidenced by your weakness, frequent headaches and dizziness! A simple ultrasound will confirm my suspicions and repeat surgical procedure will correct the problem.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA