Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Bleeding and burning sensation when urinating after sex.

Bleeding and burning sensation when urinating after sex.

Patient: Since yesterday, it has been hurting when I pee and I don’t know if I have my period because when I wipe, I sometimes see blood but I don’t have blood on my pad. I just had sex about 3-4 days ago after not having it for about a year. Any idea what is wrong?

Doctor: The presence of blood in the wipe could indicate local trauma sustained during sexual intercourse. The bleeding should s top without treatment and will require you to keep proper hygiene and increase water intake. If the bleeding continues you need to see your doctor to rule out a urinary tract infection.