Bleeding and spotting after depo provera

Patient

Q: Iam on depo provera for two and half months.a month after the shot i started bleeding .not heavy but spotting.. the spoting stopped after a month.. but when i had sex it started again. i guess i spott after the intercourse. is it normal.??

Doctor

A:   Irregular and more than usual bleeding during periods is sometimes seen after depo injections. It may take upto a year for your the spotting to stop. Spotting after intercourse is never normal and could be due to infections, cervical dysplasia, polyps, endometriosis and fibroids. I would advise that you watch your symptoms, it could be that the spotting is an incidental incident. If however you continue to experience regular spotting, I would advise that you follow up with your doctor.