Ask The Doctor > Pending > Bleeding between periods and after sex

Bleeding between periods and after sex

Patient: I’m 17 and I experience bleeding between periods and after sex, it’s been happening for around 6months now and the bleeding between periods has become more and more common (now virtually every day). I started my periods when i was 13 and they have been fairly regular ever since, but my last one came around two weeks early, which is abnormal for me. I’ve been to my GP who carried out some smear tests (set of three that included a test for STIs) and everything came back clear. She’s told me that as I am young and fit and have no pre-existing medical conditions the best thing to do would be to leave it alone for a few months. I’m very concerned about what these symptoms could mean. Is this good advice from my GP and what could these symptoms indicate?

Doctor: