Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Bleeding during Pregnancy

Bleeding during Pregnancy

Patient: I’m 8 weeks pregnant and I had some bleeding. IT was bright red but there wasn’t alot. Some in my underwear and then on the toilet paper. I haven’t had any bleeding since. Should I be worried? I’m on holiday in Europe and am unable to go the dr until i get back. I haven’t had any cramping except for a bit the day of the bleeding. Any advice would be great. If I wasn’t pregnant this would be the time i would get my period. thanks

Doctor: Hello, I comprehend your worry about light bleeding during pregnancy. In my opinion, if the bleeding was very minimal it could be a normal finding during pregnancy.There can be a small amount of spotting associated with the normal implantation of the embryo into the uterine wall, called implantation bleeding. This is usually very minimal, but frequently occurs on or about the same day as your period was due. This can be very confusing if you mistake it for simply a mild period and don’t realize you are pregnant. This is a normal part of pregnancy and no cause for concern.However, since there is no possibility of a doctor’s evaluation during your trip, I would like to avoid a possible threatened miscarriage and because of that I will suggest you to avoid extreme exercise and carrying heavy weights for the rest of your vacation until your next pre natal control with your ObGyn. I wish you the best.