x
190 Physicians Online

Question:

Bleeding from anus for more than two weeks

Dear Doctor, My husband is 55 years old, for more than 2 weeks he has been loosing blood from his anus, he doesn't have constipation, and he has never had hammeroids. Most of the time he does feel bloating in his stomach, sometimes bleeding is severe and sometimes its less, but throughout in 2 weeks it hasn't stopped,he doesn't sleeps whole night. Could you please guide me as to what is happing to him.

Answer:

Bleeding may be due to various reasons like diverticulitis, ulcer, polyp or a tumour located anywhere in the rectum, colon or small intestine. Your husband needs to visit the emergency at the earliest to stop the blood loss and other related complications like shock, anemia etc. If possible consultation with a gastroenterologist is recommended for the investigation of the underlying cause through colonoscopy and other tests and accurate treatment.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA