Bleeding from bowel movement

Patient

Q: For the past 3-4 days when I have had a bowel movement there's blood, this morning it was a lot of blood. Is this serious?

Doctor

A:   Bleeding during defecation is definitely dangerous.It is seen in many conditions like hemorrhoids, IBS, dysentery, Gastrointestinal tumors, polyps and cancers, etc. An ultrasonography along with endoscopy or colonoscopy will help in diagnosing the condition. It is definitely serious if left undiagnosed and untreated. Consult a gastroenterologist for further management.