Bleeding or Miscarriage

Q: Hello I was 3-4 weeks pregnant whenI started noticing miscarriage symptomms of pink mucus among others and eventually on Friday last week had heavy bleeding up to saturday.Am still bleeding though not very much, what should I do?

A:   I understand your concern about bleeding due to miscarriage. Many miscarriages occur so early in pregnancy that a woman doesn't even know she's pregnant. Most miscarriages occur before the 12th week of pregnancy. Though bleeding is sometimes seen with pregnancy, it is not common for the bleeding to continue for a week. I would suggest first to consult your Gynecologist to rule out miscarriage. Your doctor may repeat the beta HCG test to see if the levels are rising. A decrease in the level of beta HCG may require an ultrasound to rule out a miscarriage.