Bleeding related to IUD

Patient : Hello, I had an IUD inserted on Dec 1 of 2014. The Mirena to be exact. Now I had some bleeding then it stopped. Now I've been bleeding for 8 days, not heavy but is this normal?
Symptoms:  Bleeding, cramping, pain during intercourse
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for the query, MIRENA is a progesterone IUD and its role is to prevent ovulation and change the endomet rial lining to make the environment unsuitable for conception . Also , with continued progesterone presence it may cause some irregular bleeding which can be intermenstrually for some 2-3 months and it is normal for a MIRENA use and a known side effect. You may opt for antifibrinolytics like tab tranexamic acid 500mg thrice a day for 5 days and your bleeding should stop. Then it is likely that in next few weeks onwards you may start experiencing amenorrhoea ideally which is the desired effect of mirena. I hope i have answered your query in detail, wishing you good health, regards