Bleeding while excreting. Due to piles?

Patient: Dear Sir, Whenever I am excreting, I see that I bleed… Its not that the blood is flowing freel but drop by drop and it continues as long as I am excreting…. But it never happens after excreting….So I feel its not external….but I am really not sure whether its internal or external…. Can u please tell me why this is happening and what medication I should take…. Thank you…..

Doctor: The bleeding that you are experiencing could be due to hemorrhoids. These are swollen veins in your rectum or anus. The type of hemorrhoid you have depends on where it occurs. Since you have not noticed any protrusion outside the anus, the bleeding is most probably due to an internal hemorrhoid. Most people can get relief from symptoms using home treatments and lifestyle changes. These include over-the-counter hemorrhoid cream or suppository containing hydrocortisone, warm sitz bath, keeping the anal area clean, avoid using toilet paper, pain relievers such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen.