Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Bleeding while Pregnant

Bleeding while Pregnant

Patient: Is it okay for you to have a small amount of bleeding after having sex while pregnant?

Doctor: Bleeding during pregnancy – related or unrelated to sex is not uncommon. As a general rule, spotting or small bleeding t hat resolves on its own withing 24-48 hours is non worrisome.Reasons to see your doctor would be bleeding with abdominal pain, abdominal cramping, fevers or decrease in fetal movements.  I also recommend seeing a doctor if the bleeding is worsening as opposed to improving after the first day.Lastly, I understand that pregnancy can be a time of high anxiety and seeking reassurance is always a good reason to see your doctor as well.