Bleeding With Implanon Implant

Patient: I am 18 years old. I have a one year old daughter and I got Implanon after I gave birth to her. I haven’t had a period since June 2010 but now I am starting to have blood in my underwear. I was just wondering if this is ok? I haven’t had any sex since I gave birth to my daughter either if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Doctor: While on implanon women have different types of irregularities in the menstrual cycle. About 20% of the women on implano n may have no periods at all. While some may bleed very light or may have just spottings, others may have prolonged and heavy bleeding during their periods.In my opinion this is related to your periods and may continue as per your cycle with some possible irregularities. In case the bleeding gets heavy or is prolonged for many days, you should visit your family doctor for an opinion.While on implanon women have different types of irregularities in the menstrual cycle. About 20% of the women on implanon may have no periods at all. While some may bleed very light or may have just spottings, others may have prolonged and heavy bleeding during their periods.In my opinion this is related to your periods and may continue as per your cycle with some possible irregularities. In case the bleeding gets heavy or is prolonged for many days, you should visit your family doctor for an opinion.