Blepharoplasty - Double Eyelid Surgery

Q: I'm asian american and have one eye that is double lid and one that is a monolid. They are obviously mismatched and the monolid constantly has eyelashes touching my eye and is terrible to deal with when matching makeup so I've been considering getting double eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty). Only thing is, is that I like the way my double eyelid looks now, so if the other one could look like that I'd be ecstatic but my mom tells me they'd have to do both. Is there not a way for them to do one and if they did both would they look similar to how my double was before? I like the way my one eye looks and really don't want to change my appearance too much.

A:   Thank you for your question.

Double eyelid surgery in asian patients is a very common operation performed by plastic surgeons. As you mentioned, the creation of a double lid (supratarsal crease) is the goal of surgery. It is difficult to answer your question without examination; however, I would agree with your mother that most surgeons would prefer to operate on both eyelids to ensure symmetry post-operatively. When you meet with your surgeon, you should emphasize that you do not want a significant change on the one side and they will tailor the surgery towards matching the contralateral side the the double lid side. Even if not adjusting the one side very much, it would be very reasonable to operate on both sides to make matching identical lids.