Blood clot in median cubital vein- Thrombophlebitis

Patient

Q: I had an intravenous sedation about two weeks ago when I went to an oral surgeon. I now have a blood clot in my median cubital vein on my right arm, approximately one third to a half inch. I assume this came from some slight venous valve damage. My question is: Is this clot possibly life threatening? Should I take coumadin or warfarin? Is a pulmonary Embolism possible?

Doctor

A:   The blood clot formed because of injury to the vein (also known as superficial thrombophlebitis), is usually a short-term condition that does not lead to complications. Symptoms generally go away in 1 to 2 weeks, but hardness of the vein may remain for much longer. You may use pain killers or NSAID medications like ibuprofen to reduce inflammation and pain.