Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Blood clot possible in left calf

Blood clot possible in left calf

Patient: I am 32 yr old non smoking female. I had 2 episodes of dizziness yesterday and a area the size of half dollar on the back of my left calf that is tender. There is no reddness or edema on my left calf. Do you think I have a blood clot? The only med I’m on is micronor birth control.

Symptoms: Tender quarter size area to left calf

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.Since you are on birth control pills, you are at risk of developing blood clots in ca lf muscles known as Deep Vein Thrombosis.This can be a big trouble if the clot moves to a pulmonary vasculature from the legs causing Pulmonary Embolism.As an initial screening tests, you should undergo Doppler ultrasound of calf veins. If a clot is found you would require ECHO and CT Angiography of pulmonary vessels.Treatment comprises of anticoagulation by heparin and its derivatives.